Saturday, February 7, 2009

How lucky can you get? Lucky magazine sure did with this shopping trend.

Young adults who read Lucky magazine head to the Internet to search for the latest clothing, shoes, handbags, sunglasses and makeup that were featured in the latest issue. NearbyNow, an online business of locating the closest retail outlet that stocks merchandise shoppers are searching for is benefitting from this spike in shopping searches. The article explains that the mission is to, "enable anyone, anywhere to find the nearest place to buy anything."

Browsing and shopping on the Web is a weekly and sometimes daily ritual for me. Often, I am too busy to visit a store and try to find most items online. It’s easy and convenient, which is what many consumers, including myself, are looking for today. In fact, I do the same thing that this article refers to. I read a magazine and either fold down the top corner or rip out the page. Then, I head to my computer, search for the item to check it out and finally decide if I am ready to purchase. Recently, I read the Style section of People magazine and saw a chic, cheap dress from Target (or Targee΄ as my friends call it with a French accent, of course). I read the reviews from other people that purchased the dress to find out what they thought as well as their suggestions on sizing. After a few positive and convincing reviews, I was on my way to the checkout section.

NearbyNow and Lucky are set to launch an iPhone application that brings the geo-locating concierge service to the mobile handset. The article explains that every product featured in the magazine will have a corollary in the iPhone app, which means iPhone-toting fashionistas can dial into the Lucky app and see if their nearby retail outlet has their object of their desire in stock, in their size and in the color that matches their favorite nail color. This technology will eventually be accessible on all cellular phone networks, which I know I will certainly use.

Can retailers make it any easier for me? Companies and brands are making it easier for us to connect with them and spend money. Reading a magazine not only drives people to the Web, it will ultimately drive people to their mobile device. I think this is a very smart and innovative way to get users to try a different shopping route. While I do think that sending coupons to consumers through a mobile device is a great way to get them into the store, this new trend of getting users to shop with their phone is simple and convenient.



No comments:

Post a Comment