Sunday, February 22, 2009

It’s not fitness. It’s Life.

Now say it with a straight face. In case you have not heard or seen this tagline before, it belongs to Equinox. If you have ever entered an Equinox, most likely you will agree that it does not feel like a gym. A soothing and calming spa experience is more like it, which is why my serious, muscular boyfriend won’t join. Additionally, the gym is clean, including the showers, which my classmate Kim has also noted on her blog. Nevertheless, it has all the top-notch equipment, personal trainers, classes and after work social events.

Though the gym has a provocative advertising campaign, it has a keen eye to its members’ lifecycle within the renewal process. The gym has done a great job in communicating with me over the years and ultimately, this has caused me to renew year after year. As a 6-year veteran, I have given free passes to my friends and encouraged them to join. Even though the gym is a pretty penny, it’s worth it because I am doing a good deed for my body. It’s the one hour of the day that I set aside just for me.



Keeping the gym fresh in my mind with new tools and widgets is a smart way that Equinox engages with me throughout the year. Often times, brands do not reach out to customers throughout their lifecycle. This is a big mistake. Once you have a customer’s contact information, email address or birthday, it is so important to use that data in a meaningful way. Equinox does just that. Keeping me posted about new gym openings, sending me coupons, saying happy birthday and informing me about new classes are all positive ways to communicate with me via email. One notable feature that I enjoy using on the website is MYEQ. This section allows me to customize my page with my goals, keep track of my workouts and get access to classes at my specific location. Also, the gym syncs my check in time to this site, which is an added bonus.

Recently, the gym added a mobile feature to its campaign. Equinox gives you just about the same options as the MYEQ website. You can find a club, check your MYEQ calendar, search for a class or book a bike all with your mobile device. I have yet to use this feature but it makes me happy that the gym is being innovative and fresh with their tactics.



It is crucial that brands stay focused on their customer’s needs and the ever-changing marketplace. Interacting with customers on the website, inviting customers to participate through their phone, sending e-newsletters and enticing people with a sexy advertising campaign are just some of the reasons why I think Equinox is on top of its game.

No comments:

Post a Comment