Thursday, March 12, 2009

Social Media and the Workplace

It has become the norm today for people of all ages to participate in social networking. I’ve become accustomed to reading status updates on Facebook and each time I wonder why certain people feel the need to tell everyone that they are tired, hungry, thirsty or ready to party. As a member of Facebook, I can honestly say that I’ve only added one status update and that was to tell my family and friends that I had the best weekend ever—I got engaged to my boyfriend of five years. I thought that special moment deserved a mention. It was the one stop shop for everyone to find out, including my coworkers.

Posting friendly messages to these social networks is harmless and sometimes comical. But what happens when someone posts status updates to Facebook or “tweets” about client meetings and goals? Heather Rast, an avid member of the social networking space describes her real-life story of how social media involvement affected her corporate career. As a follower of Joe Pulizzi’s blog Junta42Match, I came across his interview with her and was shocked. Since social networking is a hot topic these days, I felt this interview was worth blogging about and passing along to friends. Additionally, I learned a few things and have made a mental note for any future use of social networks. You might want to do the same.

According to the interview, Heather explains that the company she was working for didn’t have a social media policy. She says,”Because of my level of responsibility, I thought it within my purview to choose methods for generating interest among outside parties about what my team did, and what we had to offer. I used Twitter to share ideas like ‘Just had a great client meeting. I think they’re understanding what a SEM campaign can do for their short-term search goals.” However she also stated that she never mentioned a client by name and never detailed any client project.

Apparently, people at the company didn’t agree with her approach and decided to selectively cull certain Tweets and Facebook status updates and presented them to executive management. They claimed that she was sharing confidential client information and using poor judgment.

While Heather is no longer with the company that questioned her social networking activities, she is proud to say it was worth the fight and she would do it all over again. She now works for a company that has full disclosure of her blogging and Twittering and they support her writing and sharing with others openly.

At the end of the interview Heather give some lessons that will stay with her forever:

Heather’s Lessons Learned:

  • “Be very intentional about what I write anywhere. Have awareness about if the first and the fourth (example) sentences were stripped away, could my idea be misinterpreted, or used against me?”
  • “Have a healthy respect for dissenters. Threatened people will resort to surprising behaviors. Take actions to preempt their plans by being as transparent as possible.”
  • “You are replaceable, and your achievements are only as noteworthy as your weaknesses are few. Bad things can happen to good people.”
  • “Isolate what is really important to your career/professional happiness. Then make sure you’re working at a place that truly allows you do those things. Life’s too short to just work somewhere; find that career that offers fulfillment.”

Check out Joe’s blog for the full detailed interview.

Many companies do have workers that participate in the social networking space for the good of the company, but the important point is that they’ve also made an effort to have guidelines in place. IBM and Edelman are some of the companies that have such policies. People have to be aware of what their own company guidelines are and think twice before they publish information for the world to read in the social networking space.

No comments:

Post a Comment